Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33312
Software Developer with over ten years analysis and design experience, including extensive development in C++ and Microsoft Windows platforms. A motivated self-starter with strong research, analysis, problem solving and design skills and excellent communication skills. Detail-oriented and keep an eye out for the best solution. I’m a team player with a professional, bottom line-oriented attitude; I love my work. Always interested in broadening my horizons, learning new skills.
Windows PC platforms 11 years, Windows CE, 1 year; Linux 2 years
C: 13 years; C++: 8 years; Visual Basic 1 year; VBA 1 year
Various Assembler languages: 1 year
MFC/Visual C++ Environment: 6 years
COM: 1 year, experience in DirectX
SQL (use of Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, SQL Anywhere, MS Access; writing stored procedures; mostly through ODBC, some admin): 6 years
Writing and debugging multithreaded apps; synchronization and thread safety
TCP/IP Sockets, RS-232, Internet applications (HTML, HTTP, auto-emailing),
Parsing (including use of Lex/Yacc, Flex/Bison, and Antlr/PCCTS)
Documentation: fully document code; authored user manual and help files
Photoshop, Painter: 1 year
.NET programming; embedded programming - I have done reading/practice in these areas and would be interested in any opportunities to get practical experience.
Archonix, Inc., Fort Lauderdale, Florida (www.archonix.com)
President/Software Developer/Consultant (this is my S-Corporation)
June 2001 to present
e2 Communications (now Bluestreak), Plano, Texas (www.bluestreak.com)
- Developed a Video Security Application with DirectShow (DirectX 9). Extended an existing DirectX library. Troubleshot many DirectShow problems.
- Created Voice Over IP module using DirectSound.
- Authored user manual and online help files.
- Diagnosed hardware problems, repaired protocol to handle newfound issues.
- Linux system administration, scripting, C programming and troubleshooting.
- Developed a web-based email and paging app in Visual C++
- Wrote low level code for NT to read and write characters to the parallel port
April 2000 to May 2001
DB Microware Inc., Plano, Texas (www.dbmicro.com)
- Implemented/maintained E-commerce software using Delphi
- Database development, some administration using SQL Server; maintained stored procedures
- Designed and debugged multithreaded code; created COM components
May 1997 to March 2000
RIA, formerly CLR/FastTax, Carrollton, Texas (www.riahome.com)
- Developed a service order system for utility companies. Server runs on NT, client supports multiple platforms on handhelds and laptops for field work
- Chief C++ programmer
- Designed a communications protocol for TCP/IP and RS-232
- Designed multithreaded com port processing algorithm.
- Migrated set of applications from Win32 to WinCE
- Wrote a high level scripting parser using Flex and Bison.
- SQL/ODBC with Oracle, SQL Server and Watcom SQL Anywhere.
Systems Analyst Lead II
August 1995 to February 1997
Developed applications for Windows 95 and NT using foundation classes.
Development of n-tier components
Supported CLR’s "data container" module using ODBC with Sybase.
Beckett Publications, Dallas, Texas (www.beckett.com)
Senior Software Engineer
January 1994 to July 1995
Developed software in Visual Basic, Clipper, FoxPro
Collaborated with other programmers to migrate to normalized, data-driven database systems.
Ibertech Inc., Fort Worth, Texas (www.ibertech.com)
June 1993 to December 1993
Built database app for point of sale system in C++ with the Microsoft Windows SDK.
Converted DOS character-based C code to Windows (GUI) C++ code.
Participated in all levels of the design process.
Digital Image Systems Inc., Carrollton, Texas
May 1992 to May 1993
Artificial Linguistics, Dallas, Texas
- Key contributor in system design; conferred with management and coworkers.
- Application development of imaging software using Microsoft Windows and OS/2 PM.
- Researched and wrote statistical algorithms to determine document boundaries within images.
March 1990 to April 1992
- Developed PowerEdit, an English language writing analyzer which received top honors from PC industry magazines and industry leaders.
- Developed applications in C: automated text reduction, indexing, hypertext and search/retrieval.
- Helped develop the user manual, tutorials, error messages and grammar correction algorithms.
- Progressive responsibilities in interface design, linguistic research, and project supervision.
- Functioned as C language, Windows and computer science "guru".
B.S. in Computer Science, with minor in English, Iowa State University, May, 1986.
Graduate and undergraduate linguistics courses at University of Texas at Arlington 1988
Community college courses in Electronics, Biology, Chemistry and Art 1989-2000
Association for Computational Linguistics